CBC News
Stem cell research planned without new law
Last Updated Thu, 26 Jun 2003 19:04:55

OTTAWA - Scientists say millions of dollars in stem cell research will go ahead this summer, even though a federal bill
to regulate the industry hasn't become law.

The legislation had been expected to pass in the spring, but it was delayed and now won't pass until at least this fall
when Parliament resumes.

INDEPTH: Reproductive technologies
http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/background/rgtech.html

Ottawa has been working on rules about reproductive technology for about a decade. MPs and senators have been debating
the current bill for at least two years.

"I think after waiting two years, and who knows now how long it will be after this, we think it's not right to have to
wait any longer," says Dr. Ron Worton, the scientific director of the Stem Cell Network.

Stem Cell Network
http://www.stemcellnetwork.ca/aboutus/overview.php

The non-profit research group has decided to move ahead with projects into embryonic stem cells this summer. All of the
work will be approved by the Canadian Institutes of Health Research ahead of time, to make sure it meets criteria
expected to become law eventually, Worton told CBC Radio.

Researchers will get stem cells left over from in vitro fertilization. There will not be any work on cloning or other
research Ottawa intends to ban, Worton said.

Until legislation is passed, the reproductive technology industry is effectively unregulated, he added.

"I don't know of any, but there could be researchers or laboratories out there that are currently doing work that would
be totally in contravention of the new legislation, should it be passed," Worton said.

Health Minister Anne McLellan said she hopes the bill will become law this fall.

Written by CBC News Online staff

WRITE TO US:
Send your comments to [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: CBC News
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/06/26/stemcells_030626

* * *