Apologies for cross posting.

I'm working on a longitudinal study of changes in engineering students'
perceptions of themselves as technical communicators as they progress
through undergraduate university studies to graduate school and/or to
the workplace. Currently, I'm in the last stages of the study,
collecting additional information that would allow me to triangulate my
data analysis.

I would greatly appreciate it if you could respond to the questions
below (you can send your response to the list or to me directly at

I will aggregate all the responses and will not use any personal
information (respondents' names, affiliations, and so on). The only
purpose of these questions is to provide additional information to my
study of student responses and samples of their writing.

*****
Questions:

1. If you were asked to teach an introductory engineering communication
course to first year students, would would you expect them to be able to
do on the first day of the course without any prior teaching?

        Examples of possible responses are:
- "I expect them to be able to read an academic text and select
important information,"
- "I expect them to be able to write a coherent grammatically correct
text,"
- "I expect them to be able to distinguish between various written
genres," and so on.
Any type of response to Question one is welcome.

        Your expectations may be based on your own experience with such
students, on your familiarity with student communication abilities after
high school, and so on.

2. In your experience, how would you characterize differences between
writing produced by undergraduate engineering students and novice engineers?
***********

I look forward to your responses.

Natasha
--
_____________________________________
Natasha Artemeva

Assistant Professor
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6