Dear Andrea,

The problem you're following up is tied in with where the plays were performed
and for whom. Meg Twycross's first article (REED Newsletter, 1978/2, 10-33)
looked at the people who paid to have the plays performed outside their doors
and came to the tentative conclusion that the houses were all on the left-hand
side of the route. She later retracted this (Medieval English Theatre 14,
1992, 77-94), citing new evidence discussed by Eileen White and David Crouch:
their published work was taken from their doctoral theses (White in Medieval
English Theatre 9:1, 1987, 23-63; Crouch in Medieval English Theatre 13, 1991,
64-111).

Peter Meredith has done some work on the positioning of the waggons in
relation to the sun at York: it's in Clifford Davidson, The Iconography of
Hell (EDAM Monograph Series: Medieval Institute Publications, Kalamazoo MI c.
1994), but I don't have my copy here and can't off-hand tell you the page-
numbers. There's also a short discussion of the practical effects of side-on
and end-on performance in my Music in Early English Religious Drama II:
Minstrels Playing (Cambridge, D.S. Brewer, 2001), 496-9.

All good wishes,
Richard

Quoting Andrea Harbin <[log in to unmask]>:

> Thank you.   I read the article that I'm thinking about at around the same
> time that the York Staging volume of ET came out, but it wasn't part of it.
> I'll look at again at John McKinnell's article.
>
> I appreciate the help.
>
> Andrea Harbin

Dr Richard Rastall
Professor of Historical Musicology