This past weekend, we hosted our 2nd annual (and my 8th pd event) in
Peoria, Il. On Saturday morning, Brenda Tucker and Nancy Abraham
(co-founders of PLWP.org) presented  a seminar that even impressed a
seasoned seminar goer with its message of hope. This symposium  was
presented by People Living With Parkinson's (PLWP.org)  at the
University of Illinois College of Medicine. our panel of medical experts
included Dr. Rick Weber: Associate, an Assistant Professor, Department
of Neurology at Northwestern University School of Medicine ; Director,
Movement Disorders Center at Glenbrook/Evanston Hospitals; Director,
Movement Disorders & Functional Neurosurgical Program at
Glenbrook/Evanston Hospitals  and the Medical Director of the Chicago
Area Chapter American Parkinson's Disease Association  and  Dr. Paul
Carvey  whose credentials include: Professor of Neurological Sciences
and Pharmacology as well as Chairman of the Department of Pharmacology.
He is also the Director of the Neuropharmacology Research Laboratories
and the Rush Pharmacology Analytical Laboratory Services. This was the
third in a series of PLWP's "Patient as Provider" series.
During the afternoon, we held a "parkie picnic" that everyone enjoyed.
Then on Sunday, we went to downtown Peoria, to a lovely place on the
riverfront called Le Vieux Carre-a beautiful century old building with
wrought iron balconies reminiscent of New Orleans French Quarter.
Here, everyone pitched in to decorate with black & red balloons and set
up registration, raffle, welcome, and food tables. The music began at
10:30 with the wonderfully entertaining Ken Carlysle playing guitar and
fiddle and doing alot of tunes that were his own compositions. as people
checked out the fabulous raffle prizes (6 baskets each worth $500+ and a
pair of boxing gloves autographed by Mohammed Ali), the food was ready
to enjoy. At noon, speeches were given by: Gina Morss (local TV
personality), Michael Bryant (CEO of Methodist Medical Center), David
Leitch (State Representative from Illinois) and from Carol Walton
(Executive Director of the Parkinson Alliance and sponsors of the Shake,
Rattle and Roll event). The walk commenced at 12:45 to the bluegrass
sounds of Applegate & Co.-a great way to kick off the easy roll or
stroll along the Peoria Riverfront. What a sight...200+ people all
walking to find a cure! After the walk, the food was all ready and it
was wonderful (even more so because almost all of it was donated)! After
time for everyone to get enough to eat, door prizes and raffle prizes
were drawn and we were treated to a jazz  performance by local jazz
legends: Steve Degenford, Dave  Parkinson, John  Miller, Mike Nellis and
with vocals by Beverly Barnes and her lovely daughter Ashley. The sound
was provided by Illinois Concert Sound. We think that we will come close
or even exceed $25,000, of which two-thirds will go to the Parkinson
Alliance where it will be matched dollar for dollar by the Tuchman
Foundation to cover administrative expenses thereby insuring that 100%
of the 2/3 earmarked for the Parkinson Alliance will go directly to
research. The other one-third of our profits will be equally divided
between the PLWP organization (who deal with with day-to day life
problems of people with parkinson's) and our local IPMR-Institute of
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation. IPMR will use the funds to help
purchase a "Gait-Analasis Carpet" which is a state of the art diagnostic
tool that wil be used in the community to help people with PD and other
movement disorders. I'd like to thank everyone who helped out and
participated in this event-thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

--
Joan E. Blessington Snyder       51/13
http://www.pwnkle.com/jes/jes_web/index.htm