On 1 Jul 2003 at 21:09, Roberta Innarella wrote:

> Hi, does anyone out there know anything about Rasageline?  My God-daughter
> told me about it but the only thing I seem to find is clinical trials.  Is it on
> the market?  Roberta

Hi Roberta,

It is still in Clinical Trials as far as I know... pending FDA approval...

http://www.news8austin.com

Delaying Parkinson’s Progression
Updated: 6/8/2003 5:00:00 AM
By: Ivanhoe Broadcast News

Parkinson's disease is a progressive disorder of the central nervous system. According to the American Parkinson
Disease Association, more than 1 million people in the United States are affected.

Clinically, the disease is characterized by a decrease in spontaneous movements, gait difficulty, postural instability,
rigidity and tremor. The disease results from the loss of dopamine in the brain, and the subsequent loss of the brain's
ability to send impulses throughout the nervous system.

The result can be a stiffness and lack of control of extremities, all the way up to severe tremors. While several
medications have been approved for the treatment of Parkinson's, they have proven only partially successful, and the
disease remains incurable.

Research physicians at 32 sites of the Parkinson Study Group in the United States and Canada are involved in clinical
trials with the drug rasagiline. The drug is actually a much more potent version of a pre-existing medication.

In a study of more than 400 people, the drug was administered to patients showing early signs of Parkinson's disease.

Dr. Mark Lew, from the University of Southern California, participated in the trial in which he gave about 20 patients
the drug. He said nearly all of his patients showed improvement of symptoms after receiving rasagiline.

Sixteen patients remain on the drug and continue to show positive effects.

Rasagiline is an MAO-B inhibitor. MAO stands for monoamine oxidase - a brain enzyme that is believed to be responsible
for brain cell death and loss of dopamine.

Rasagiline inhibits this brain enzyme, which leads to an increase in dopamine. Lew feels strongly that drugs like
rasagiline will be an important treatment option for Parkinson's patients in the near future.

"There's no question that this will be a new and very effective treatment for Parkinson's disease once it's FDA
approved," Lew said.

It has not yet been FDA-approved for use in the United States.

Not only does rasagiline appear to reduce symptoms in early Parkinson's patients, it also may slow the inevitable
progression of the disease.

Lew said studies are now underway to determine whether the drug may also be effective in patients with more advanced
stages of the illness. He said those studies are also showing promise.

Though still in the midst of the FDA approval process, Lew said rasagiline could be available for widespread use in
Parkinson's patients within 12 to 18 months.

For more information, contact:
University of Southern California
Division of Movement Disorders
Clinical Trials Division
(323) 442-5814

SOURCE: News 8 Austin
http://www.news8austin.com/shared/print/default.asp?ArID=73972

I hope this answers your question... murray

* * *
Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters/