Forwarded from PAN.
Please contact your Senators
Linda

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "LauraJane Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Laura Jane Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:53:58 -0400
Subject: Feinstein NIH Amendment

From the Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research Funding:

We understand that Senator Dianne Feinstein is preparing to offer an
amendment to the FY 2004 Labor-HHS-Education appropriations bill when it
comes to the Senate floor later this week to add additional funding to
the
National Institutes of Health (NIH).  The Senate Appropriations Committee
has proposed $27.982 billion for NIH, a $1 billion (3.7%) increase over
the
current year.

Senator Feinstein's amendment would add an additional $1.3 billion to the
NIH budget in FY 2004, which would bring the total to $29.282 billion, an
8.5% increase.

Since this amendment is not offset with any cuts to other programs, it
will
require 60 votes to pass the Senate.  This will obviously require strong
support of this amendment by both Republicans and Democrats.

We urge all Ad Hoc Group member organizations to activate their
memberships
immediately to contact their Senators in support of the Feinstein
amendment.
The Senate may begin debate on the Labor-HHS bill as early as this
evening,
and a vote on this amendment may occur as early as Wednesday.

Dave Moore
Executive Director
Ad Hoc Group for Medical Research Funding
202-828-0525

Laura Jane Cohen
Director of Outreach
Parkinson's Action Network