On 25 Jul 2003 at 14:02, Murray Charters wrote:

> KXAN-TV, TX
> 07/25/03 - 8:23 am
> New Drug To Treat Parkinson's Disease
>
> A small drug company in southwest Virginia has come up with a
> breakthrough in the treatment of Parkinson's Disease.
>
> "It actually creates an environment where cells can line and don't die
> anymore and also creates an environment where they can actually
> proliferate against and possibly cure the disease," Dr. Keith Latham,
> PH.D. with Innovative Technologies said.
>
> The new drug, Parkinol, completely blocks the tremors caused by
> Parkison's.
>
> That behavior is displayed in a lab rat with Parkison's who acts
> completely normal, compared to one that runs in circles constantly.
>
> Human testing of the drug will cost about $5 million, so reseachers
> are now trying to market Parkinol to larger companies.

I saw the above posting just as I was going "nomail", so I thought that I
would answer it (I won't see the responses, sorry!).

"Parkinson's disease" in rats is NOT Parkinson's disease.  The statements
above sound very much like commercial hype.  New drugs don't go into
"marketing" for "human testing" without scientific proof which is published
in peer-reviewed journals.

I would be *very* skeptical of something like this.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"