The Des Moines Register, IA

Woman tests strength, faith on RAGBRAI
By CARLOS RODRIGUEZ
Register Staff Writer
07/21/2003

Shenandoah, Ia. - A diagnosis five years ago confirmed a lingering fear for Kathy Frazier.

She had Parkinson's disease.

Now, the 48-year-old Atlanta native will test the strength of her mind, body and faith in this year's RAGBRAI.

"It's funny, Parkinson's is the reason I'm doing RAGBRAI. For some strange reason I think I can do it," she said. "This
is something I never would have done if I didn't have Parkinson's."

Parkinson's disease is a neurological disorder that slows down the body's motor system.

Frazier's struggle to overcome her disability has manifested itself in a determination to prove the disease hasn't
gotten the best of her.

For Frazier, it means trying to prove that staying physically active can help in the fight against Parkinson's - a
fight she says she is winning.

Frazier's husband, Ralph, owns a cycling consulting firm in Atlanta.

A member of Ralph's cycling club in Atlanta, Dr. Jay Alberts, born in Sanborn, Ia., and an Iowa State University
graduate, came up with the idea to help Kathy Frazier through bicycling.

The team started with a ride around the Atlanta area, but when the group wanted to raise awareness of Parkinson's,
Alberts sought RAGBRAI. The idea turned into the Pedaling for Parkinson's team.

For a month, Frazier has sidelined her career as an owner of a marketing and graphics design company to train for
RAGBRAI. In addition to spending 90 minutes each day on a stationary bike, she did yoga and light weightlifting.

Before leaving Atlanta to join the thousands of riders who have already hit Iowa's roads, Frazier says she and her
husband, along with friends, raised more than $5,000 to fund the trip.

What is left over will be donated to the American Parkinson's Disease Association.

"There's a lot of healthy adults who would never try RAGBRAI," Alberts said. "But I'm confident she'll handle it
without any problem."

Halfway through the first day of RAGBRAI, Frazier says she feels great.

"I didn't know what to expect," she said. "It's a lot hillier than I thought, and it's hard work. But I have to admit,
it's fun passing everyone."

Frazier is taking on Iowa's hills on a tandem bike with her husband and Alberts, who switch between stops.

"I'm so proud of her just accepting this challenge," said Ralph Frazier, a 30-year cycling veteran.

Alberts says as long as Kathy Frazier keeps hydrated and eats healthy, she shouldn't have any problems finishing the
ride.

"I'm very impressed with her dedication and commitment level. This is something that will inspire others who've been
diagnosed that isn't the end of the line," Alberts said.

Reference:

What is RAGBRAI?

RAGBRAIŽ, The Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across IowaŽ, is an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the state.
RAGBRAI is the longest, largest and oldest touring bicycle ride in the world.
http://www.ragbrai.org/info.htm#Whatis

RAGBRAI XXXI Update
http://desmoinesregister.com/extras/ragbrai/

SOURCE: The Des Moines Register, IA