The Washington Post, DC
Reeve Calls for Global Spinal Research
By JASON KEYSER
The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 29, 2003; 12:22 PM

REHOVOT, Israel - Actor Christopher Reeve told an Israeli audience Tuesday he thinks there is a good chance he will
walk again - provided "politics and religion" don't interfere with scientific research.

The "Superman" star, who has been paralyzed from the neck down since an equestrian accident in 1995, is on a five-day
visit to Israel, visiting research facilities and hospitals to study advances in treatment for spinal cord injuries.

Speaking to journalists at the Weizmann Institute of Science in the city of Rehovot, near Tel Aviv, Reeve said progress
on research required international collaboration, but was being slowed by disputes over intellectual property rights
and widely varying rules on stem cell research.

Many scientists believe stem cells from human embryos could be used to treat a vast array of conditions, from spinal
injury to diabetes and Parkinson's disease.

Israel is a leader in the field of spinal injury treatment and in stem cell research, which has been limited in some
countries because obtaining the cells involves destroying a human embryo.

The U.S. government has limited stem cell research because of the embryo issue. Reeve has been critical of U.S. policy.

"My hopes are that politics and religion will not interfere with progress for a cure," Reeve said Tuesday. "If those
problems are overcome, I stand a good chance of walking."

"Israel is one of the leaders in the world, and I came to pay tribute to the work being done here," he added.

Reeve also is meeting Israelis injured in Palestinian terrorist attacks. On Tuesday he met Elad Wassa, a 25-year-old
Ethiopian immigrant paralyzed from the waist down in a suicide bombing in May 2002.

"Welcome to Israel - you are my hero," said Wassa, who wrote to Reeve during his convalescence and shared a stage with
him Tuesday.

Reeve saluted Wassa's courage and determination.

"Elad's story was particularly moving to me," he said. "A young man and a victim of random violence in a country that
has seen so much violence. His story just touched me."

SOURCE: The Associated Press / The Washington Post, DC
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62011-2003Jul29.html

* * *