KOLR, MO
Aug. 1, 2003

St. John's Conducts Parkinson's Study

The neurological disease, Parkinson's, is characterized by tremors, and affects such movements as walking, talking and
writing. There is no cure. Current medication for Parkinson's helps many patients calm their tremors, but there could
be a medication on the horizon that works even better. St. John's Medical Research Center in Springfield is conducting
the drug study, and it's looking for participants. Doctors hope the new medication will not only relieve tremors, but
will also have fewer side effects.

77 year old Clarice Lawrence is betting that the new drug will bring her a better future."I guess the odds of getting a
placebo appeal to the gambler in me," she says. Clarice was diagnosed in June and is in the early stages.

"There's preliminary data that shows the drug does work in humans, not only effective but tolerable," says neurologist
Dr. Tom Habiger. He's overseeing the study and says if the drug is successful it will help ease symptoms with fewer
side effects such as vomiting, nausea and light headedness. He's hoping for more participants for the study.

Clarice says placebo or the real thing, she's in it for the long haul.

"I'm going to stay until the test is over with, about 8 months. I could be able to help myself if I don't I help
somebody else," she says.

Habiger hopes it won't just help somebody, but will help millions.

"That's the ideal, that we can get the effectiveness of an agonist which is what this class of drug is, with less side
effects - that's really a great coup for the treatment of Parkinson's disease."

No current drug slows the progression of Parkinson's, but Habiger says early data shows this one might. The study is
for patients with early onset Parkinson's only. If you'd like more information, or to see if you qualify, call St.
John's Medical Research Center at 417-820-2222.

SOURCE: KOLR, MO
http://www.kolr10.com/global/story.asp?s=1382714&ClientType=Printable

* * *