someone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a new member.  Has anyone had to deal with an
> older parent with PD?  I am about to lose my mind.
> I have full time caregiver for my mother but she is
> getting to be impossible to take care of.  She falls
> often and refuses to use her walker.  Yesterday she
> dislocated her shoulder and we spent the evening in
> the hospital. She has also become very manic these
> days and full of anxiety.
> We have tried everything..medication wise...nothing
> seems to help.  Dr. Fazzini is her doctor in NY.  If
> we deal with the anxiety too much..she will be
> too drowsy and fall even more.  She needs to be
> entertained all day long or she gets nasty.  This is
> not my mother who ten years ago was a fabulous rehab
> counselor for NY State in her 70s!
> She is running out of money because she and my late
> father both had PD and it has cost us a fortune for
> caregivers ($40,00a year +) and we have to sell her
> house so she will have money to live on.  I am
> thinking about building an extension to my house so
> she can still live with her caregiver...with a
> locked door!
> She is too high level for a nursing home..wants to
> always be on the move although she falls...and she
> needs too much care for assisted living.
> Any ideas?  I am worn out and very upset. My mother
> was my best friend and the kindest person.
> Thanks so much!
> My Best to all of you!

may i suggest joining the pd caregivers list?
there are members there who have similar experiences to yours

most members here are parkies trying to manage our illness ourselves
and share those difficulties with each other and
not with our caregivers or other
close family members

you might also consider joining a local pd support group
in your community with help for caregivers

they could probably also recommend
better medical assessment for your parent

janet

former parkinsn list co-owner

janet paterson
an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky
pd: 56-41-37 cd: 56-44-43 tel: 613-256-8340
w-site: http://www.janetpaterson.net/