On 7 Aug 2003 at 23:04, janet paterson wrote:

my dear murray

my heart and lungs go out to you ...

i am glad that this discovery seems to be early in the game

when i was 25 i was told i had the 'beginnings' of uterine cancer
but it was caught in time ...

my god-daughter's brother
aka my god-nephew? chris in victoria
had cancer in a kidney and then spots in his lungs
starting when he was just under 4 years old
he came through it all
and is now raising heck in high school at age 14 ...

whatever happens
grace has you in her hands safe and sound

this is just another lesson
(by now you must have at least a couple of Phd's!)

my thoughts and prayers are with you and brenda
each and every minute
guaranteed

much love

janet

ps
this cyber family has been through its ups and downs
but that's what families do and
this is what they are for
cyb-bro

pps
whenever you have a spare minute
i think you should do some writing
you have the gift
share it

janet paterson

* * *

Hi jp and Hello to All,

jp, I'm not a "writer" of any substance, or of any quantity, or of any particular value.

My "writing" is usually off-the-cuff, spontaneous, often less then well thought out, verbiage.

Sometimes I surprise myself, but not enough to break out of my sporadic habit.

Speaking of sporadic, years ago, my then family dr. once asked me why I didn't visit my other regular dr. Surprised, I
said "I don't have any other dr. ... you're my regular guy."  He replied "If I'm your dr. then why is it I have to look
for your file in the archives when you come to see me"?

Now I have a family dr.; a neurologist; a movement disorder "team"; and a new lung disorders "team".

Same thing with hospitals...  While I am familiar with hospitals, (I've worked on the elevators in most major hospitals
in BC and Alberta) this is the first time since 1949 or '50 that I spent any signifigant time in one as an impatient
"patient".

Now it seems I might have to get familiar with more hospital time and procedures than I've ever imagined.

I've noticed a bit of a change.

In 1950 the nurses all wore crisply starched white uniform dresses complete with white "caps" ala Cherry Ames (a series
of hard cover books my sister once cherished) and the dr wore a three piece suit starched white shirt, and tie.

Now the nurses uniforms are generally wash 'n wear pants and blouses, no caps, no rigid standard per se, and the drs.
appear to have abandoned their suit jackets, white shirts, and ties for a more relaxed, much less formal, yet still
semi-professional, "look".

There are other "changes"...

I shared a small stuffy room in 1950, I was dressed in a hospital gown, confined to bed for 8 days (communal washroom
down the hall, but I was not allowed to go for fear of infection transfer), attended by a nurse for all personal
hygiene (bathed in bed, and bed pans) attended by a nurse each shift to manually monitor and chart my vital signs (Yep!
shake down the mercury, take my temperature, skilled fingertips and wristwatch to take my pulse, light in my eye to
check pupil dilation) and attended by a nurse to receive 4 doses of infection fightin' penicillin/day administered in
the butt cheek... (Yep! 32 shots in 8 days!  confined to bed!  And that was for a ruptured ear drum)... When I was
mercifully discharged, I couldn't walk unassisted and I could barely sit... Oh... and visiting hours were 2:00PM to
4:00PM and 6:00PM to 8:00PM every day. (If ya over-stayed I'm sure the visitor police would have been on ya)  The
hospital food was the dreaded variety that you hear of in old wives tales, folklore, etc.

This time, I was in a very large air conditioned private room complete with private bath, private telephone, fully
dressed (for the most part) in my own clothes, and allowed visitors 24/7 (although they did suggest the preferred times
were 8:00AM to 10:00PM and they did cut off incoming phone calls from 10:00PM to 8:00AM.)  I was free to walk about,
come and go, get my own newspaper from the gift shop 12 floors down, etc. I was allowed to "self-medicate" my
Parkinson's meds.  I had an IV tap in my arm so that I could receive any injectable meds without any further action.
(BTW Carole... if you're listenin'... I noticed EVERY room has a "sharps-disposal" permanently wall mounted just inside
the entry doorway.) They monitored my vital signs twice/day with a roll in machine that sensed my % oxygenation, pulse
rate, and breaths/minute with a finger clip, automatically inflated, slowly deflated, and then recorded my blood
pressure levels with a nurse applied "cuff", and took my temperature electronically with a probe the attending nurse
placed under my tongue.  Very modern, high tech, impressive (to me anyway) and the information is displayed on the
machine readouts and is thus readily available to the patient without any "asking" required. And... they brought around
forms that you could select your meals by circling your choices.  Fresh fruit was readily available.  My short hospital
stay was about as pleasant as you could wish. Thank you VGH drs. and staff.

So you see, jp... I'm not much of a writer... but I am prone to run-off-at-the-mouth..

cheers ...... murray

Murray Charters <[log in to unmask]>
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters/