On 12 Aug 2003 at 1:00, Marco De Michiel wrote:

> Whilst the studies (?) did not produce any conclusive evidence I would
> not rule out the possibility because alchohol, especially spirits have
> a toxic effect on the body; also they can cause severe dehydration and
> cause blood vessels to contract thereby reducing blood supply to the
> brain. In France, in the late 19th/early 20th centuries Absinthe was
> banned because it caused severe brain damage. Alchohol is a poison,
> therefore, if taken in excess very harmful; and if combined with
> anti-depressents a potential cause of PD.

There are many substances (including absinthe) which cause specific damage
to the basal ganglia (which includes the areas where the effects of PD are
noted).  The symptoms can include Parkinson-like effects, but this is not
Parkinson's disease.

Best,

Bob  (back from vacation)

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"