Hi All,

just a quick message to relay yesterday's happenings...

* * *

Dr. Ayas called from VGH around 15:36 Aug 11, 2003

Biopsy indicates this is NOT mesothelioma...(asbestosis)
so I am somewhat relieved...
(asbestosis was the absolute worst case scenerio)
but it is still a very serious adjunct carcinoma
in the upper lobe of my lung ...

and the broncoscopy revealed size to be roughly 3 cm.

Since I'm not a smoker and lived a pretty clean otherwise
healthy life, they had suspected mesothelioma with
the tumor in my lung being secondary...

Since I don't have mesothelioma, or other pain/symptoms,
this tumor may be the primary cancer.

On that note... Dr. Ayas will tap the pleural effusion
on Wed. Aug. 13th. at 13:00 Hours

He intends to use a biopsy needle to drain 1 to 1.5 litres
of fluid... which will allow my lung to expand, restore
temporarily my lung capacity, possibly allow me to rest
a bit easier and get a decent sleep...

This procedure will also allow biopsy of the pleural effusion.

This will be an outpatient procedure / roughly 1 hour plus
1 hour rest and observation, after which I will return home.

Fluids are OK but solid food is restricted after dinner
Tuesday evening.

Dr. Ayas sent a referral to the Cancer Clinic (by FAX)
late Thurs. afternoon Aug. 7th. (when I was checkin'
out 'n goin' home)

I'm to call them during business hours tomorrow,
--   telephone  --  604 - xxx-yyyy  --
tell them my name, and that I'm a new patient
referral from Dr. Ayas. (I'll be talking to a sec./clerk)

I should enquire:

Who is my assigned oncologist?

What is my "schedule"?

What are the date(s) and time(s)