I would like to reply to Dr. Romero's concerns about the Grassroots
Connection article about Dr. Keith Latham.

> On 6 Aug 2003 at 22:32, Jorge Romero MD wrote:
>
> In science and medicine there is no cost of going public.
> I understand the need for some secrecy at some very early stage in
> the development of new drugs;  however, once one enters the
> "preclinical" stages with the FDA, the whole thing should be a matter
of public record,
> and be supported by some published preclinical research.

-- I've been volunteering with the Parkinson's Pipeline Project
www.pdpipeline.org   working on its  New Treatments in Development
database and it has given me some insight on the drug discovery process.
While it's true research conducted by the NIH and other government
agencies or by academic institutions funded by the government must make
information about their research public, the same is not true of
pharmaceutical companies or researchers who are privately funded. We've
found it is often very difficult to get information from companies about
their drugs in development or clinical trials. The current and important
GDNF trials being conducted by Amgen, is one example.

> Searching the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research (CDER) I
> could  find no mention of Parkinol, Latham, or Innovative Laboratories

-- I also thought information about new drugs in the pre-clinical stages
would be on the CDER database, once an IND has been submitted. However
i've  learned it is not: According to the FDA's website:

"Due to confidentiality rules, FDA is prohibited from releasing
information on any drug under development, review or pending approval
unless the information has been made public. You may contact the
manufacturer directly to ask about products under development."
from FAQ on CDER
http://www.fda.gov/cder/about/faq/default.htm#1

> Why must access to Dr. Latham's credentials be only via third
> parties?  How  about a listing of his publications?  His credential and

> publications are  not secret, I assume.

-- The Grassroots Connection article has been revised to include his
information on his educational background and affiliations. see:
http://grassrootsconnection.com/klatham.htm

For further information, you can contact Dr. Latham directly at:

I also did a Medline and BIOSIS search and found over 20 citations for KR
Latham, from 1975-1986  as well as a patent for  Iodothyronine polymers
in the  Official Gazette of the United States Patent & Trademark Office
Patents. 1223(2). Jun.08, 1999 under Keith Roger Latham.
If anyone is interested in seeing these,  i can send you the citations.

> Again, I urge members of the Parkinsn List to exercise great
> caution.
>  Jorge Romero, MD

-- i absolutely agree that any medical information found on the web
should be carefully evaluated. Important questions to ask are -- What is
the source of the information? Can it be verified?
Just as Dr. Romero pointed out.

I would also like to reiterate that the article about Dr. Latham on the
Grassroots Connection  website (of which i am one of the co- editors) was
not an endorsement of  him or an announcement of  a  cure for
Parkinson's. it was a human interest story about how  the author, Peg
Willocks,  discovered  a Parkinson's researcher in her own backyard,
through the myriad connections made possible on the Internet and our
online Parkinson's community.

 It was also about a scientist who chose to return to medical research
after some 20+ years, because his wife was stricken with Parkinson's and
he wanted to do what he could to help her. It clearly stated his research
is only in pre-clinical stages. Maybe it will continue on through the
pipeline and become an actual treatment someday; maybe it won't. Most new
drugs in development don't - especially those that are being researched
by independent scientists or small companies. But the Grassroots
Connection editors believed that our readers would be interested in
reading about this "mom and pop laboratory" , where MAYBE one of the
pieces to the Parkinson's puzzle could be discovered.

NO endorsement, NO claims,  NO promises - but we think an interesting
"grassroots" story nevertheless.

Linda