On 10 Aug 2003 at 10:06, Roberta Innarella wrote:

I will be starting Permax (pergolide) soon and all of these postings are
making me nervous.  I already have a cardiomyopathy.  Exactly what is an ergot
derivitive?  Roberta

-------------

Hi Roberta,

Permax is an old established drug, so it should be OK...

It might be a good idea to ask your dr. to order a baseline chest xray...

ergot derivitive?
The ergot  comes from a mold on rye (the grain not the drink)

Ergot: A plant alkaloid produced by the fungus Claviceps purpurea.

Ergot-derived medication: A medication that has a chemical structure based on ergot, a plant alkaloid produced by a
fungus called Claviceps purpurea. Permax® and Parlodel® are examples of ergot-derived medications that may be used to
treat certain neurologic movement disorders.
http://www.wemove.org/glossary/

You can look up the drug on Medline...

Go to:
http://www.geocities.com/murraycharters/

click on Ref

click on MEDLINEplus - Drug Information

Type Permax in the Search box

Scroll way down to Drug Information

There are two pergolide hyper-links indicating two suppliers

Click on each one and read/print the page ...

click on On-Line Medical Dictionary

type ergot in the search box

or ... type ergot derivative in the search box

And the bottom line is...

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your attending professional