Gift of companionship proves to be the best medicine for senior's soul

By TOM RYBARCZYK  Journal Sentinel staff

Last Updated: Aug. 16, 2003

The two lighthouse paintings on Helen Griffin's apartment wall remind her of a lonelier time when no one kept her
company.

The paintings depict a glowing beacon standing alone among the crashing waves.

Griffin, 73, who has Parkinson's disease, emphysema and chronic arthritis, said she felt deserted like those towers
until she was informed about a program designed to help people in her situation.

The Senior Companion Program was created in 1974 by the Social Development Commission to pair seniors with needs with
non-disabled seniors to assist them in their daily activities. The program's goal is to help seniors such as Griffin
maintain their independence and keep out of nursing homes.

Before being paired with a senior companion, Griffin said, she spent little time with her family and had few friends.

Today, Griffin said, "I have someone to talk about now to my family, and they get jealous, and that makes me happy."

The Milwaukee Senior Companion chapter has 94 members assisting about 400 area seniors, said Bill Meunier, a program
assistant. Companions must be 60 or older to volunteer for the program, which is funded by the Corporation for National
and Community Service and the state.

Senior Companion is one of many SDC programs aimed at helping residents get out of poverty.

Often, volunteers take their companions shopping, help clean their apartments and teach them "new tricks," Meunier
said.

"We are the only ones out there that provide friendships," Meunier said. "You can prescribe drugs for people, take them
shopping. But that's not enough. They still have a hole in their soul. We call it medicine for the soul."

Griffin's companion, 72-year-old Frances Scheerer, began visiting three years ago, transforming Griffin from a woman
who thought she could do nothing into an excited craft-maker, years after the onset of chronic arthritis and
Parkinson's disease.

"She says, 'My nurse told me I could do nothing,' " Scheerer said. "That's a bunch of bull. She does really good work.
I am proud of her progress."

Scheerer meets with Griffin every Thursday from 1 to 5 p.m. at Griffin's apartment in the 1700 block of S. 29th St.
They spend their time chatting while creating needlework, some of which adorns Griffin's apartment. Those items include
Griffin's first design that reads "God Loves U" and bead baskets to hold tissues.

Before Griffin's new hobby, she was reduced to playing cards alone. Now, she looks forward to showing Scheerer her
work.

"It is something to do and something to keep me out of trouble," Griffin said jokingly.

Meunier said companions gain much more than good feelings. They gain friends.

Scheerer, like other Senior Companions, gives most of her time to helping other seniors.

"I am close to my people," Scheerer said. "When they are sick, when they pass away, it really kills me. I would not
give the SDC program up for nothing. That means more to me than any money. You can't do without friends. That's the
bottom line."

Scheerer and Griffin have come far since their first meeting and are looking for new challenges.

Griffin's stitching career, however, has not been easy with her hands trembling constantly, but instead of letting it
go, Scheerer just urges her do it over again so she can learn.

"We are going to do ceramics next, but I don't think I can," Griffin said to Scheerer.

"Don't say you can't. We go through that every week," Scheerer responded. "In my life, the word can't doesn't exist.
Everybody can."

From the Aug. 17, 2003 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

SOURCE:  The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, WI
http://www.jsonline.com/news/metro/aug03/162856.asp

* * *