UK: Waltham Forest Guardian
Thursday, Aug. 21st. 2003

Council Kicks Out Carer
By Guardian reporter

A WOMAN who nursed her dad through cancer and her mother through Parkinson's disease is facing eviction from her home
of 25 years.

Maria Pollard, 42, lived with her parents all her life.

But now she is to lose her home through a council legality.

Miss Pollard's father Raymond died in 1995, after a six-year battle against cancer. After his death, the council house
tenancy passed to her mother, Nora.

She was diagnosed with Parkinson's in the year he died and has gone steadily downhill ever since until Miss Pollard
could no longer look after her.

Mrs Pollard, 73, moved into a Woodford Green nursing home in February, and is now unable to talk, walk, or look after
herself.

Five months later, Miss Pollard was cruelly informed that, because her mother was no longer at the house, in Clifton
Avenue, Walthamstow, she would be evicted, having no rights over it.

The single woman, who lives on £50 benefits a week, is now facing homelessness.

She said: "I am very frightened, I don't know what I'm going to do. The council said it won't re-home me, and because I
have been a full time carer for over a decade, I have no savings and can't afford a privately rented house." She is
applying for jobs and is undergoing a training course to try and improve her employment chances.

A council spokeswoman said: "The council fully understands and sympathises with Miss Pollard's difficult situation. It
is the case that when a tenancy has been succeeded to once, in this case 1995, the Housing Act 1985 prevents a second
succession.

"The council has to consider its duties to any remaining family within its housing duties especially its homeless
duties.

"The council has met Miss Pollard and discussed her position in full. This included a medical assessment. However, she
is not considered to be vulnerable and in priority need, and will have to vacate the property.

"This is a very sad situation. The council would very much like to be able to house Miss Pollard, but unfortunately it
is simply unable to."

10:30am today Thursday, Aug. 21st. 2003

Waltham Forest Guardian,
Guardian House,