The Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia

Stem-cell breakthrough
24aug03

A WORLD-FIRST breakthrough in stem-cell research promises a cure for lung diseases that kill tens of thousands of
Australians -- and millions more around the world.

Melbourne scientists at the prestigious National Stem Cell Centre have turned human embryonic stem cells into lung
cells.

The revolutionary development is a step towards coaxing damaged lungs to repair themselves.

The technique could yield cures for cystic fibrosis, mesothelioma, emphysema, chronic bronchitis and, eventually, lung
cancer.

Research leader Dr Richard Mollard said the discovery was a "big step forward".

He said this was the first time lung cells had been successfully grown.

Dr Mollard, 37, said although it was too soon to start human clinical trails, early results were promising.

"It certainly looks like we are heading in the right direction," he said.

"What I can say is that this is an exciting step forward and the potential has been realised."

Lung diseases cost Australia more than $2 billion a year to treat and kill tens of thousands of Australians every year.

The US spends $24 billion a year treating the diseases.

"Lung disease is highly under-estimated as a killer," Dr Mollard said.

There is no cure for cystic fibrosis. Nationally it costs $500 million a year to treat.

Dr Mollard said the breakthrough meant people with lung diseases may be offered pioneering stem-cell therapy as a
treatment and potential cure within a few years.

But he said a cure for lung cancer would take longer.

"Lung cancer is a very different disease," Dr Mollard said. "However, eventually we may even be able to replace cells
damaged by cancer."

Melbourne-born Dr Mollard was brought home two years ago by Australia's stem-cell pioneer Professor Alan Trounson to
work at the Monash University-based centre.

He had been working in France and was about to accept a research position in New York when Professor Trounson recruited
him.

He said Victoria was now one of the world leaders in stem-cell science.

"The potential for stem-cell research to be an effective treatment is huge. People have done experiments and have shown
you can re-activate spinal columns," he said.

There was also some hope, he said, with pancreatic cells and also cells introduced into hearts that have suffered a
heart attack.

Dr Mollard said he has had calls from Germany, Singapore, France and the US from scientists wanting to know more about
his discovery.

"In the last three weeks there has been a real momentum," he said. "We are all excited. This is a big first step."

Kerryn McIver, from Cystic Fibrosis Victoria, said the discovery offers promise.

Cystic fibrosis sufferer Geoff Brown, 19, whose younger brother Murray, 10, also has the condition, said the
breakthrough was very exciting.

"I think it's fantastic. I'm extremely impressed and hope this can be used in the near future for my sake, my brother's
sake and all the other sick people," he said.

"I live my life in hope that one day there will be a cure."

Mr Brown, whose brother has been treated at Monash Medical Centre for the past week, said the possibilities from stem-
cell research were endless.

"Stem-cell research is just great. I really think we will see more progress and more breakthroughs in the next few
years," he said.

The National Stem Cell Centre has also announced new technology that will help burns victims.

Professor Trounson told an international conference that the therapy, which uses skin cells, would be available within
three years.

Describing it like a Trojan horse that "brings in" cells, Professor Trounson said the new treatment involves removing
all the cells from donated skin, leaving a "biomatrix" of tissue.

This would then be applied to the affected part of the body.

Professor Trounson said strips of skin tissue could also be ground into a powder and injected into parts of the body or
packed into wounds.

SOURCE: The Melbourne Herald Sun, Australia
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,7044632,00.html

* * *