CALL FOR PAPERS
Illinois Medieval Association
Northwestern University
27-28 February 2004

The Central Ages--Periods and Boundaries

Now that Renaissance scholars have redefined their period as "early
modern," what are the Middle Ages supposed to be midway between? Should
we rename our own period "the Central Ages"? With Spenser and Tolkien
now prominently featured at Kalamazoo, how do we define the internal and
external boundaries of the medieval era? Do the usual criteria for
periodization make sense for medievalists working on the Jewish Middle
Ages, or the Byzantine or Muslim or Scandinavian or Eastern European
Middle Ages? What alternative schemes of periodization might apply?

We are especially interested in a cluster of sessions focused on key
dates: around 1215, around 1348, around 1453, and so forth. We also
welcome thematic panels on boundaries (and boundary crossings) of many
kinds: between sacred and secular, Latin and the vernaculars, ritual and
performance, hagiography and romance, apostasy and conversion, heresy
and legitimate dissent, and more.

Keynote speaker: Alexander Murray, University College, Oxford

Deadline for abstracts: October 1, 2003

Please send one-page abstracts for individual papers or complete panels
(graduate students should also include CVs)  to:

Barbara Newman
Professor of English and Religion
University Hall 215
Northwestern University