On 5 Sep 2003 at 23:39, Maxine Krugman wrote:

> one further comment on NPH. the three primary symptoms, weakness in
> the legs (causing my sister in law to fall and literally not be able
> to get up), urinary incontinence and confusion with memory loss to me
> are not anywhere near the symptoms of Parkinson's. they seemed to be
> very different and i'm not sure how that neuro could say otherwise.
> having one does not prevent one from having the other but the same
> symptoms, not according to dory at the hydrocephalus association in
> san francisco. maxine

A significant number of patients with NPH have Parkinsonian-like symptoms
(tremor, rigidity, etc.).  This is because, as the ventricles enlarge, they put
pressure on the basal ganglia (the brain structures involved in PD), can cause
those symptoms.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"