On 11 Sep 2003 at 11:09, Roberta Innarella wrote:

> I'm reading a lot on the Forum about the use of TENS Unit to control
> tremors and pain.  Can anyone expand?  How does it work and what is
> involved in getting "hooked" up?  Roberta

TENS (transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulator) units can be quite helpful
in the treatment of pain.  I am not sure about tremor.  They *seem* to work
by triggering the release of "endorphins" (natural painkillers produced by the
brain), but we are not sure how they really work.

They are quite benign (no risk), but have to be fitted properly and many
people who prescribe them do not instruct the patients properly in their use.
They are usually worn for a set period of time each day (usually about 8
consecutive hours) and set at a threshhold of stimulation (so that the
"tingling" is barely perceptible to the patient).

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"