On 18 Sep 2003 at 23:46, Peggy Willocks wrote:

> The rats were lesioned with stereotactic injections of 6-OHDA.  Maybe
> you can explain why he didn't use MTPT (which is what I've seen used
> to induce parkinsonism?  Neither are real Parkinson's, which is why so
> many successful animal testings fail in human trials.
>
> I am "cautiously optimistic" as quoted in the article.  I'm sure FDA
> will scrutinize his findings  But one never knows!

Sadly, you are correct.  I would wonder why they did not use high doses oif
phenothiazines as the "lesioning" agent, as it would be more consistent with
"true" PD (which is not the case with the phenothiazines, either).  Drugs like
Thorazine and Stelazine, widely used in the past for psychotic disorders, are
powerful Dopamine suppressors and often produce a Parkinsonian-like
syndrome.  I did some of my early research work (rabbits) with this model.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"