New Team Helps People Move Forward - Physiatrist
BRMC Newswatch
Tuesday, September 16, 2003
By Bonnie Brandsgaard, BRMC Public Relations

"As a physiatrist, I am a physician who treats a wide range of problems from arthritis to spinal cord injuries. The
focus of my specialty is restoring function to people," said Dan Wilson, D.O., medical director of the Acute
Rehabilitation Unit at Baxter Regional Medical Center.

A physiatrist (fizz ee at' trist) specializes in physical medicine and rehabilitation, treating the whole patient, not
just the patient's symptoms. "I share my medical knowledge to help patients understand their condition and provide the
tools and resources to manage the limitations," he said.

Wilson serves as the rehab interdisciplinary team leader.

"In addition to other physicians, our team may include nurses, physical, occupational and speech therapists, social
workers, dietitians, neuropsychologists and vocational counselors," he said.

"I may see a person who has degenerative joint disease/arthritis or who has experienced a stroke, amputation, head
injury or a neurological disorder such as Parkinson's Disease or multiple sclerosis. We employ a variety of treatment
methods to reduce or eliminate problems and to decrease the possibility of a recurrence. This comprehensive approach
produces a high degree of patient satisfaction to restore quality of life."

People who have suffered a multiple trauma can experience severe functional limitations as well. "I treat people who
have survived serious car accidents with several fractures," Wilson said.

Here are some scenarios that illustrate his varied roles:

A woman who slips on a rug and breaks a hip. While in the rehabilitation unit, Wilson will assist in developing an
appropriate treatment program, monitoring and adjusting it as needed. With this treatment program, the patient can
reach her optimal functional level.

A man in a diving accident has a spinal cord injury and is paralyzed below the waist. Wilson treats the array of
medical issues that occur as the result of a spinal cord injury. As a physiatrist, Wilson focuses on restoring patients
to maximum function; the difference he makes can be dramatic. In the case of a broken hip, the physiatrist not only
takes care of the acute problem but also treats the patient until he or she returns to optimal functioning. The
physiatrist also teaches the patient how to prevent the injury in the future.

Rehab Awareness Week

Thanks to the BRMC Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit, patients are returning to their daily lives to care for themselves,
said Deborah Way, program director. "During National Rehabilitation Awareness week -- Sept. 14-21 -- we salute our
professionals who provide services to people with disabilities. Members of the rehab staff help their patients return
to an independent lifestyle following a medical event such as a trauma or stroke," she said.

The unit is dedicated to treating patients through comprehensive therapy for daily living tasks. Inpatient
rehabilitation services provide high-quality care for patients.

BRMC rehabilitative nurses and therapists work as a team to address balance disorders, prosthetic training,
neurological dysfunctions and orthopedic conditions, including:

Gait evaluation and training

Evaluation and training related to balance and vestibular (inner ear) disorders

Comprehensive rehabilitation for orthopedic conditions, ranging from multiple fractures to postoperative effects of
joint replacement and amputations

Evaluation and treatment for impaired ability to perform daily activities such as bathing, dressing and grooming

Comprehensive rehabilitation for neurological conditions, such as stroke, multiple sclerosis and peripheral nerve
disease

Swallowing and feeding evaluation and treatment

Speech and language evaluation and therapy

Cognitive communicative evaluation and rehabilitation for patients with head injuries or in the early onset of
dementia.

For more information on BRMC rehabilitative inpatient services, call 508-3300.

SOURCE: The Baxter Bulletin, AR
http://www.baxterbulletin.com/news/stories/20030916/localnews/266537.html

Reference:

How to become a physiatrist

To become a physiatrist, individuals must successfully complete four years of graduate medical education and four
additional years of postdoctoral residency training. Residency training includes one year spent developing fundamental
clinical skills and three additional years of training in the full scope of the specialty.

There are 80 accredited residency programs in physical medicine and rehabilitation in the United States. Many
physiatrists choose to pursue additional advanced degrees or complete fellowship training in a specific area of the
specialty.

To become board-certified in physical medicine and rehabilitation, physiatrists are required to pass both written and
oral examinations administered by the American Board of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (ABPM&R). The ABPM&R also
has agreements with each of the boards of pediatrics, internal medicine, and neurology to allow special training
programs leading to certification in both specialties.

Physiatrists practice in rehabilitation centers, hospitals and private offices. They often have broad practices, but
some concentrate on one area such as pediatrics, sports medicine, geriatric medicine, brain injury or many other
special interests

* * *