Doctor prescribes puzzles, music and hearty laughter

SMILES program aimed at improving memory

By Jake Finch, Correspondent
September 15, 2003

When Mary Barton noticed her memory was not what it used to be, she viewed it as an inconvenient but normal part of
aging. But on the day last spring when the 75-year-old Oxnard woman couldn't find her way to a frequently visited store
in her neighborhood, inconvenience turned to panic. "I couldn't remember how to get there. That scared me," Barton
said.

It was around this time that a friend told Barton about SMILES, a program offered at the Camarillo Springs Holistic
Medical Center.

SMILES, which started two years ago, is operated by Dr. Arnold Bresky, a Calabasas obstetrician who retired from the
baby business a few years ago.

"I'm a very unusual doctor," Bresky, 63, said. "After 30 years of getting up at 3 in the morning, it got a little bit
tiresome, so I decided I would do something else to improve the human condition. I decided to go to the very old." He
taught himself about aging and memory loss, working with Alzheimer's patients and studying elder health and care. The
results of his findings led to his concentration on two key aspects of the human body -- the brain and the immune
system. "I gave myself the title of preventive gerontologist. I teach people how to age gracefully and successfully,"
he said.

Bresky's approach uses daily doses of games, art, prayer or meditation and music to stimulate the brain to perform
better. Also, moderate exercise and specific nutrition guidelines are a required part of his program. His final
prescription -- 10 hearty laughs each day. His program targets not just the obvious elderly patient facing dementia or
Alzheimer's disease, but anyone coping with memory impairment because of stroke, brain injuries, open-heart surgery --
because of oxygen restriction during the surgery, memory loss is a common result -- sleep apnea or Parkinson's disease.

His methods are not necessarily groundbreaking. Alzheimer's patients have been encouraged to use art and music in their
therapy for years. What's unique about SMILES, Bresky said, is the comprehensive approach to the program.

The walls of Bresky's office are lined with drawings completed by his patients during their weekly or semiweekly
sessions. As part of the program, patients copy increasingly complex drawings using various tricks to stimulate the
brain. During this time, Bresky stands at the ready to guide and encourage.

"They come here and for this hour, they're lifting weights for the brain. I'm a personal trainer for the brain," Bresky
said.

Last week, Macon and Elizabeth Epps of Camarillo worked on their drawings in Bresky's small office. The Epps, both in
their early 80s, started seeing Bresky about three months ago. "You really have to use your mind to do this," said
Macon Epps, who takes a lot of pride in his drawings. "I think my memory is a little better -- it's hard to measure."

A new patient's memory impairment is first evaluated using standard cognitive testing. Bresky also works with fellow
chiropractors in his office to improve the person's physical condition enough to begin a moderate regime of daily
walks. Where applicable, he supports the patient's use of drugs to offset symptoms from Alzheimer's or other diseases.

"I'm a complementary, integrated doctor," he said.

Barton, who started the program three months ago with her husband, Mel, said she sees signs of memory improvement. "I
could never do crossword puzzles," she said, but now does them daily as part of her program.

Elizabeth Epps said she hopes the program improves her bridge game, which Bresky also encourages.

Bresky doesn't just pass on his program to patients. He lives it. As an aficionado of every version of Mozart's Piano
Concerto No. 21, one of which he has patients listen to twice a day, and the classic slapstick movie "Blazing Saddles,"
Bresky fulfills his daily dose of brain power. "My memory's now better than it's ever been. To develop these games,
I've got to go through the exercises," he said.

Bresky offers free first-time workshops at his office every Friday. Most treatments are covered by Medicare.

For more information, call 987-1800.

-- Jake Finch's e-mail address is [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: Ventura County Star, CA
http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/county_news/article/0,1375,VCS_226_2259869,00.html

* * *