October 3, 2003

Call For Papers

As Professional and Technical Writing grows at the undergraduate level
from a narrow pre-professional track to a discipline, complete with its
own undergraduate degree and certificate programs, faculty
administrators often seek grounded and detailed descriptions of how to
picture, develop, promote and sustain their programs. A strong need
exists for a volume of reflective discussion aimed at explaining the
context and specifics of running a PTW program, one grounded in specific
institutional contexts and yet “portable” to other sites and situations.

the development of PTW programs in the United States and Canada,
tentatively entitled Composing and Revising the Professional Technical
Writing Program. We are particularly interested in essays that discuss
the politics, pedagogy, curricular architecture, and evolving goals of
such programs. While our main focus is new programs, we encourage
discussions of the redirection and revision of established programs. We
are especially interested the following:

• Proposals that discuss how a program constructs an identity out of all
the possible choices open to it;
• Proposals from non-teaching administrators whose responsibility it is
to fund and advocate for such programs;
• Proposals from adjunct faculty who teach in such programs;
• Proposals from faculty running 2-year certificate programs;
• Proposals discussing specialized program issues: ESL, distance
learning, engineering

We also have need for a bibliographic essay surveying and summarizing
the literature, as well as an essay that discusses the (unfortunate)
demise of such a program.

Please send three copies of your proposal to the address below. The
submission deadline is January 10, 2004. Feel free to call for more details.

David Franke, Ph.D.
Proposal Submission
Director, Professional Writing
Box 2000, 112 Old Main Building
The State University of New York, Cortland
Cortland, New York 13045
t) 607-753-5945
e) [log in to unmask]
w) http://www.cortland.edu/profwriting/