Hi, I’m Susan. and I live in a country town north of Sydney in Australia.
I am new to the List, and have not yet been diagnosed with Parkinson’s.
Having read quite a lot lately about symptoms, though, I’m pretty sure
that’s what I’ve got - either that or MS, but at 52 years of age, I think MS
is less likely.  My local doctor has referred me to a neurologist
(appoinment later this month) and wants him to send me for an MRI.  I’ve had
a CT brain scan - normal - and the usual blood tests are normal.

I’ve read that a “frozen” shoulder is a common early symptom.  Can anyone
tell me whether, when it is a symptom:
-  the arm remains “frozen”, or
-  physiotherapy can get it moving almost fully again ?

My shoulder was "frozen" early this year, though it was diagnosed as“rotator
cuff dysfunction”.  Physio got it working again, with only stiffness
remaining - which exercises relieve.  For months I thought the other
problems I am having – poor balance, severe writing difficulties, unable to
brush teeth - were caused by the shoulder.  But those other symptoms haven’t
eased with the improved shoulder function, and in addition my speech now
sometimes gets “caught up” – as though the tongue/lips can’t move fast
enough [especially saying “Mama Mia” :) ] – definitely not related to the
shoulder!   I also get a bit of "foot-drag".  I wonder whether my shoulder
problem was an early Parkinson’s symptom.

I’ve read that there is no treatment that slows down the disease, but
elsewhere I read that treatment should be commenced as soon as possible.  Is
that only to relieve symptoms, or can the drugs actually slow down
degeneration?  Isn’t it better not to use the drugs till later, because
their effect diminishes and a higher dose is needed?  I’m confused about
early treatment and the need for a definite early diagnosis.  I can put up
with my symptoms at present, but I want to know if treatment actually slows
down the disease.

Thanks for reading this, and for any advice you can give.

ninemsn Premium transforms your e-mail with colours, photos and animated
text. Click here  http://ninemsn.com.au/premium/landing.asp