'God Squad' delays progress on anti-cloning bill in Commons

By DENNIS BUECKERT

Mon, October 6, 2003

OTTAWA (CP) - A group of MPs dubbed "The God Squad" flexed its muscle Monday, delaying a key government bill that would
ban human cloning but allow the use of embryos for stem cell research.

House leader Don Boudria unexpectedly pulled the Assisted Human Reproduction Act from debate after only two hours of
third-reading debate. "I think they were surprised at how many speakers I had," said Liberal backbencher Paul Szabo,
who is leading opposition to the bill. The bill would ban human cloning, ban payment for human sperm and eggs, ban rent-
a-womb contracts and set up an agency to regulate fertility clinics.

There is little opposition to any of those provisions, but there is strong opposition to a clause that would permit
research using surplus embryos left over from fertility treatments.

A spokesman for Boudria said the bill remains a government priority, but won't be debated before Thursday.

Mark Roy said the government did not want to waste time on a filibuster, and would bring back the bill when it can
control the agenda.

"This remains a priority, we're committed to passing it and we'll pass it in the best way possible," he said.

However, some MPs believe the government will have a hard time getting the bill through third reading - the last step
before passage - even though the New Democrats have decided to support it.

Opponents of the bill have been nicknamed the God Squad because most of them oppose embryonic research on religious
grounds.

Twelve MPs spoke in debate Monday, almost all of them opponents.

Even if the bill passes the Commons it could be subject to delays in the Senate and die on the order paper when the
House prorogues.

A spokesman for Senate Leader Sharon Carstairs declined to say whether the bill is likely to go through committee
study, which could take a considerable time.

SOURCE: CNEWS Canada
http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2003/10/06/218955-cp.html

* * *