> 1.      Lack of knowledge of the disease by   health care professionals,
which care for the person with Parkinson's disease in Care facilities.

> 2.      Unintentional abuse both by the health professionals and families
providing care due to lack of education.

I have posted on this problem before, Sandy.   My husband has had PD for the
past 24 years and has been hospitalized twice within the last year.  I
stayed by his bedside constantly - even in ICU and CCU (I'm an RN at the
hospital where he was a patient so the staff was very indulgent).

I have been a med-surg nurse for the past 37 years and can tell you that I
have rarely cared for PD patients with complex drug regimens.  Even though
Parkinson's Disease is the most common  neurological disease in the USA, few
PD patients are on the kind of medication schedules that my husband has.
That is why I stayed by his bedside during his hospitalization, and that is
why the staff encouraged me to stay.

In our Michigan, West Bloomfield PD support group, the topic of
hospitalization and the lack of understanding on the part of the medical
staff about PD is a regular topic.  The reality is, we must advocate for
ourselves.  We must teach the hospital staff about the problems that may
occur with improper medication administration.  We must be firm when dealing
with resident physicians who try to change drug regimens because they think
no harm will occur, or don't understand how medication side effects can
positively destroy the health of a PD patient.

Finally, we must never take for granted that medical professionals will
understand the  unique physical and nutritional requirements of the  PD
patient.  I can't tell you how many times I have had to call pharmacists in
our hospital to inform them that Eldepryl cannot be given at 5 p.m. (or,
even worse, 10 p.m), and that Sinemet should be given *before* meals on the
medication schedule.

It's an up-hill battle when a PD victim must be hospitalized.  It is very
important for caregivers to have enough self-assurance to challenge the
system when they know that an incorrect medical regimen has been prescribed.
--------
God bless
Mary Ann Ryan (CG Jamie 64/24)