Hello Everyone,

I would like to share with you my vision of a Care Model for Parkinson's and the difficulties that I encountered over a three year period to have this funded by our public Health Care system. It appears all our efforts over this period have been blocked.

We conducted a market survey to determine the need required in the community and a demonstration Project with four families over a six week period with excellent outcome results.

We presented it to the department of Health and Wellness, Government of Alberta in 2000. The  Parkinson's Societies across Canada, Movement Disorder Clinics, Care Facilities, Neurologists, Physicians, Hospitals etc. received a copy of our brochure outlining the services provided. The following is part of our outline of our Care Model.

"Making your health a top priority"

Specialized Home Care Service to clients with neurological disorders, and their families. in their own home.

Mission Statement
To provide a compassionate, cost effective, quality multidisciplinary team Home Care Service to clients with neurological disorders, in their own home. The service will be focused on maintaining optimum health by concentration on prevention, wellness, education, and counselling by a team of Health Care professionals.

Our Goal

It is our goal as a company to work together with all health professional and organizations within the various communities. We wish to provide an opportunity to consult with each other, learn and grow form the knowledge and experience each of us share.With this we see a quality service that will address the needs and enhance our clients' quality of life.

Wellness Focus' Commitment to Clients
- will be encouraged to remain as independent as possible, and will be treated with courtesy, respect, dignity, free from mental and physical abuse, in a manner that recognizes one's status.

-Clients will have condition, care and treatment explained in easily understood terms, and will be supported in the right to have input into decisions that effect quality of life.

-Clients can expect Wellness Focus Team Members to respect the fact that they are a guest in the client's home.

-Clients can refuse medical treatment and medications and will be informed of the medical consequences of refusing.

-Clients will have medical and personal information kept confidential and made only available to authorized persons requiring such information in the client's best interest, or as required by law.

-Clients can be assured that all Team Members have been made aware of, and will honour, Wellness Focus' Commitment to Clients.

-Clients will be provided with care without discrimination.

PARKINSON'S OUTREACH PROGRAM

Consultation services provided  by calling TOLL FREE LINE

TO ASSIST:

- All primary health care professionals, including physicians, in remote communities.

-Long Term Care Facilities, Assisted Living facilities, Lodges. etc in both urban and rural communities.

-Regional Health Authority programs not listed above

-Edmonton and surrounding areas will call for assessments and consultations.

I would greatly appreciate advice, comments and suggestions, from listmembers in Canada.

Thank you, Sandra