On 9 Oct 2003 at 17:54, Rayilyn Brown wrote:

> I thought "partial birth abortion" referred to late term abortions
> performed if in the opinion of the doctor the mother's life was in
> danger or the fetus wasn't viable, e.g., it had no brain.  Please
> correct me if I am wrong.

"Partial birth abortion" is a procedure where a pregnancy is terminated by
mechanically extracting an unborn baby after the *birth* process has started.
Such abortions are performed late in pregnancy (third trimester), and, because
the head is large, the baby cannot be removed without puncturing the skull
(which is soft in a baby) and sunctioning out the contents (brain).  The
puncture of the skull and the sucking out of the brain is *probably* painless
to the baby; although I am not so sure about the pulling on the rest of the
baby's body (to get it so that the head can be punctured) is painless.

In cases where the baby is grossly malformed (such as the anencephaly
described by Rayilyn, many would argue that this procedure is justified
(although it seems strange that such gross fetal malformations are not
diagnosed earlier in the pregnancy and the abortions carried out earlier).

But this is not the usual case with "partial birth abortions".  They are usually
employed in pregnancies which are perfectly healthy, but in which the
mother, for whatever reason, decided "late" to have an abortion (when the
baby was actually viable!).  Some states restrict the performance of abortion
to the first and second trimester of pregnancy (allowed by Roe v Wade); but
other states, like my state, California, permit abortion right up until the time
of full delivery of a full-term baby.

Seems rather strange that a few inches (passage of a small part of the baby
through  the birth canal can change the organism from a "piece of tissue"
(something which can be killed and discarded) to a human being (which must
be protected).

BTW, none of this discussion really has anything to do with stem cell
research, which is yet another issue.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"