Dear Retha and George,
Thanks for your reply  -  I only received it the once - funnily enough my
own original message doesn't show up as a message received by the List.  I
was going to make an amendment to it:  I mentioned that the doc mentioned
loss of balance indicated possible cerebellum involvement. I realised in bed
last night (good time for clear thinking!) that it wasn't the balance but
"dysdiadochokinesia" (whew!) (means difficulty with contra movements) in the
right arm (and foot, but he didn't test that) that indicated possible
cerebellum involvement. Might have caused confusion to some with medical
knowledge.

I developed lack of swing in the right arm and tendency to scuff right foot,
too, and slowness. I seem to remember they can also relate to ms - not sure
though.

I have overbalanced at home twice, but haven't fallen since I started moving
a lot more slowly when at home, stopping before sharp turns, and keeping my
feet further apart. It doesn't take anyone knocking me to put me off-balance
- just moving around - i'm ok walking fast straight ahead though.  But being
on my feet takes constant concentration, and is stressful and tiring.  I
feel for you trying to work full-time with the problem - falling with the
bucket of water is one way to have your daily wash, I suppose :)

George, how long have you had ms? (if you don't mind me asking.)  Is there a
net support group for that too? I suppose I should find out in case....
though I'd rather it be pd, I think - what a choice!  I've read the side
effects of interferon are pretty awful.

How does your 16-year-old cope with your pd and ms? - I'm not looking
forward to telling my 15-year-old daughter - she's not really a "caring"
type of person - pretty self-centred, as is pretty normal at her age, I
suppose.

Take care, both of you, especially with that mop and bucket, Retha :)
Susan.

>From: "George T. Elliott, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Early PD symptoms
>Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:48:33 -0500
>
>Dear Susan,
>Hi.  I was diagnosed in 2000 at the age of 47.  My first symptoms were lack
>of swing to left arm, dragging of left leg, not really bad but I could tell
>that it was not picking up like it use to, shaking in left hand and arm,
>slowness and weakness.  Iam now 52 and I have noticed in the last 6 months
>a problem with balance.  Just this past Friday I fell over some mops in a
>plastic bag, my balance got off for just a second and I went over like a
>tree.  Could not catch myself.  Fell on a tool box I was carrying under my
>left arm, it was not metal but hard plastic, if it had been metal I would
>have been in trouble...the Doctor thought I had broken a rib and took
>X-rays but I did not.  Just bruised it good. I have to be very careful and
>watch what is at my feet.  Sometimes just a shove or an accidental push
>from someone will cause me to fall.  Of all my symptoms so far this one has
>caused me the most concern.  I work at 40 hour week as a custodian and
>sweep and mop all day.  I have to be constantly on guard not to fall.  I
>have fallen into my mop bucket a few times...that is always fun.
>Hope this helps with your trying to find out things.
>My husband has MS and he is 46, we have two boys ages 10 and 16.  One in
>High school and the other in Middle school.  My hubby is moving and doing,
>though his problems are increasing as time goes on.
>Take care
>Retha Elliott and Family
>
>P.S. This is a resend. It was attempted overnight, but our email sent a
>message that it was not delivered, so I am sending it again for Retha.
>George

Chat via SMS. Simply send 'CHAT' to 1889918. 33c per message sent. Free to
receive. More info at
http://ninemsn.com.au/mobilemania/MoChat.asp?blipid=6800