Hi Mike:
    I agree with your statements.
    I would just like to point out a couple of things.
    1. The argument is often made that human life originates when the egg is
fertilzed by a sperm.  Therefore, we should not use embryos for scientific
experiments. That would be tentamount to killing one human being to help
another.
    There is something basically wrong in this assumption.  Life is a
continuous process. Life comes from life. You need two live cells to create
a new life. So how can one say where life begins.  We all know when life
ends: when you throw the embryos in the garbage.
    I would just like to remind you what is happening when we use birth
control pills.  They inhibit the fertilized egg from being implanted in the
uterus. In other words, by using birth control pills, we are aborting (or
murdering) the nascent embryo from being implanted in the uterus.  We do
this without any guilt.  Why do we do this? Just to have more fun.  But,
when you want to use a week old embryo, that would be thrown away in the
garbage to die, for medical research that will help millions of suffering
people, suddenly this becomes non-ethical! "Oh... we should not kill a human
life for the benefit of other humans!"  There is nothing more hypocritical
than this.
    2. Of the so called 60 human stem cell lines were initiated in the early
stages of this field, most were cultured in the presence of mouse cells used
as feeder cells. Therefore, they come with the hidden dangers of mouse
viruses and therefore, they are not useful for human exprimentation or
therapeutic applications.  One desparately needs more stem cell lines
established by recent methods that do not depend on the use of mouse cells.
    Bush's government is not only blocking this research in USA, they are
also attempting to block the progress of this most useful science in the
entire world through UN! We should realise that this irrational approach to
stem cell studies is doing unimaginable harm to the future welfare of
humanity.
    Raj