(as originally posted from bermuda)

1997/09/10 Re: family atmosphere

hi all

faye wrote, in part:
> I pray for continuation of our list discussions
> with the love and friendship of a family atmosphere
> (thanks, Janet .. what a great idea!) ...

you are most welcome!

i guess the significance of the sharing that goes on here
is much more important to me
on this beautiful but limited island
because of what is not here:
no neurosurgeons
no neuros of any kind
no 'movement disorder clinics'
no support groups

i have YET to meet a parky in person
(after nine years!)

i have admitted to being spoiled by living on my own
enjoying the luxury of solitary mulling time

but the only reason that luxury doesn't become a prison
is that i have
'you lot'
through the miracle that is the internet

we each one of us are individuals
with our own chemical 'stew', granted,
but also with our own unique talents or strengths

i think the dynamic of this medium
plus all of our strengths pooled together
is the miracle of our time

if i had pd
and still lived here
but with no internet in existence ...
i can hardly bear to think about it

i think i can declare without hesitation
one of the reasons i feel so comfortable with having pd
and so optimistic about the future
is due to this miracle

> If that is not possible for all,
> then perhaps we can maintain at least
> the polite and collegial atmosphere
> of people working together toward a common
> goal of surviving, fighting and learning
> as much as possible about PD.. :) ...

i'm glad that ron felt 'safe' enough with us to express his frustration
this isn't a 'public forum'
it's a group of people brought together
by an uncommon condition
which is progressive, incurable, and degenerative

we are not the average joe or jane on the street
we and the people we care about
have been through and are still going through
a test by fire

at times we need to share what we are really feeling
because this may be our only outlet
this may be the only group we have access to
who might understand

being a family doesn't mean 'happy days'
being a family doesn't necessarily mean being 'polite'
being a family doesn't mean we're 'on the prowl' or 'lookin fer luv'
it means facing ups and downs together for the long haul
knowing that we can just be us, no act, no pretense
knowing we're not alone

and if that's not a miracle
i'll eat my hat

your sybersis

janet

--
janet paterson
an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky