Exercise May Keep Parkinson's Symptoms At Bay
Target Exercises Focus On Balance, Postural Changes

UPDATED: 11:15 a.m. EDT October 27, 2003
PITTSBURGH -- Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disease caused by a loss of the cells in the brain that produce the
chemical dopamine. While there are medications that can slow the loss of dopamine, they can bring about negative side
effects after long-term use. That's why many look for other methods to slow disease progression.

As a former engineer, Dick Beyer takes a calculated approach to everything he does -- especially now that he has
Parkinson's disease.

"I was having trouble reaching for a glass off the second shelf in the kitchen, so I developed an exercise in the total
gym, which basically repeats that motion," he said.

According to Kathi Brandfass, a physical therapist at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, these movements help the
many symptoms of Parkinson's disease.

"At the heart of what we're working on are really the tasks that involve targeting, reaction, their reaction to a
target," she said.

Brandfass started the program to study the effect of targeted exercises on Parkinson's disease.

"All of them have had significant postural changes, and balance, there's a big balance improvement," she said.

Since the disease affects one side or the other, the exercises work both. Moving backwards initiates new motor
programs.

"I feel like what I'm participating in is the giveback program, so the people with Parkinson's after me will have more
than I had," Beyer said.

Parkinson's disease patient Jim Cordy is also looking out for more than himself. He said, "I'm curing Parkinson's. I
don't have time to take care of Jim Cordy."

But if the results hold true, Cordy will be helping himself -- just by exercising.

Brandfass also points to the importance of starting exercise programs early -- before the problems become debilitating.
Of course, you'll want to talk to your doctor before starting any exercise program. She said a trained individual can
create a program with exercises to help each person's specific needs.

If you would like more information, please contact:

UPMC
Sports Medicine
3200 S. Water St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15203