I recently attended an horrific power point presentation and it's no accident
that the speaker comes from a faculty of medicine.  In fact, medicine
faculties use this instead of textbooks or required reading.  They publish
their slides and students read them to study.  Power point is perfect for
medical education where information has been reduced to matching of symptoms
lists to pathologies, tests and treatment lists.  Disciplinary discourse has
much to do with the propagation of this technology.

Having had some good experiences with "bending" power point toward my
rhetorical purpose through pasting visual images onto empty slides,  I'm
interested now, however, in trying "inspiration" -- a visual mapping software
program that I frequently use with my students for outlining in tutorials-- as
a less constricting form of visual aid.  I used to avoid visuals in the
classroom, but I think there are some compelling arguments for using them
related to accessibility and presenting information through different learning
styles.

The interesting thing about "inspiration" is that it allows you to create
visual "bubbles" but it also allows you to use text to connect information, so
the links can be described or categorized or qualified.  I think it is capable
of presenting a much more layered, nuanced and complex set of ideas which is
in fact what it was designed to do.  It also has the ability to hyper link to
other files so that you can move to more and more complex versions or vice a
versa to more clear or simplified versions; you can also go to the web, etc.

Do other people have visual soft ware that is better than power point and if
so would you share it?