Well, then, why is it so popular?

--On Thursday, November 20, 2003 9:37 AM -0400 Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> But I think it's interesting that Jamie posted this to us
> Chatelaines, because it seems to me that at the root of Tufte's
> objections is a rhetorical one. It's not only about denuding
> complex ideas of their richness; it's not only about abandoning
> the connectives and subordinators that make discourse into
> thinking; it's about your relation to your audience.  PPt is
> unremittingly monologic.  The speaker's plan is the speaker's
> plan, interrupt it at your peril.  The _Wired_ piece concludes
> with this: "PowerPoint is a competent slide manager and
> projector. But rather than supplementing a presentation, it has
> become a substitute for it. Such misuse ignores the most
> important rule of speaking: Respect your audience." It's no
> mistake that it's called POWER point, eh?

Surely it can't be because speakers intend to disrespect their audiences,
denude complex ideas of their richness, and abandon the connections among
ideas . . .

This is a serious question.  The denunciations of powerpoint that I have
seen are amazingly vituperative, yet it's darned near ubiquitous.  (Can't
just be that it's a M$ product; you don't find the same thing with Access,
say.)  Obviously the program meets a need.  What is it?

Marcy

                           Marcy Bauman
                         Media Consultant
                       College of Pharmacy