Dear CATTWers, CSSRers, and CASLLers,

Below is a job ad for a tenure-track position in Rhetoric and
Professional Communication at Laurentian University.  In the interests
of persuading as many qualified candidates as possible to apply for this
position, I'd like to preface the formal ad with my own perspective on
some of the benefits of working at Laurentian:

1. Our English department is very friendly and collegial, and actually
manages to discuss and collaborate on most issues in generally
productive, supportive ways.

2.  Although we have offered some courses in Rhetoric for many years,
recently we have developed a full undergraduate program in Rhetoric and
Media Studies that integrates theory and practice in written, oral, and
multi-media communication.

3. Class sizes at Laurentian tend to be considerably smaller than at
larger universities and in the English Dept we pride ourselves on our
strong rapport with students and our ability to give them considerable
individualized attention. In the Rhetoric program, class size typically
ranges from 20 to 40 students.

4. Laurentian has a really interesting Interdisciplinary Humanities
M.A. program in Interpretation and Values that English Dept faculty
regularly teach in if they so desire.

5.  A post-graduate Science Communication Diploma will almost certainly
start being offered either in 2004-05 or 2005-06.  This diploma is a
joint venture between Laurentian and Science North, our local but
world-class public science centre.  This diploma does not constitute
part of the English Dept's programming, but it's possible that there
would be opportunities for our new Rhetoric person to participate in
it.

5.  Sudbury is a great place to live if you like any of the following
outdoor activities: hiking, canoeing, sailing, camping, swimming,
mountain biking, running, skating, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing,
ice-fishing (and I'm sure I've missed some!).  We have a whole bunch of
freshwater lakes right in the heart of the city that are swimmable,
including a great beach just 5 mins from my office.  Sudbury is also, I
have found, a wonderful place to bring up a young family.  I should also
mention that we have several art galleries and theatres, an annual film
festival, an annual folk/arts festival, writing groups and poetry
readings, and some (though admittedly not a vast number) of good
restaurants.

Ok, enough of the promotion!  I welcome personal emails or phone calls
from anyone interested in getting more background information:
[log in to unmask]  or 705-675-1151.

Please forward this ad to other people/groups as you think fit.

Philippa

The Department of English at Laurentian University invites applications
for a renewable probationary appointment (tenure-track) at the rank of
Assistant Professor, in Rhetoric and Professional Communication, tenable
from July 1, 2004, subject to budgetary approval.

Laurentian's English Department offers streams in Rhetoric and Media
Studies and in Literature. The successful candidate will contribute
primarily to the Rhetoric and Media Studies stream in at least two of
the following areas of her or his expertise: Rhetorical Theory and
Criticism, Professional Communication, Multimedia Communication, and
Composition Studies. English Department faculty have opportunities to
participate in Laurentian's Interdisciplinary M.A. in Humanities.

A doctorate and indications of research achievement and potential are
required. Rank and salary are commensurate with experience, and subject
to the University's Collective Agreement. Applicants should submit a
curriculum vitae and arrange for three referees to write directly to:

Dr. Thomas M.F. Gerry, Chair
Department of English
Laurentian University
Ramsey Lake Road
Sudbury, Ontario P3E 2C6
Fax: 705-675-4870

While the language of instruction is English, Laurentian University has
a requirement of passive bilingualism (English/French) as a condition of
tenure. The University offers free second language courses to its
employees. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this
advertisement is directed first to Canadian citizens and permanent
residents. Laurentian University is committed to equity in employment
and encourages applications from all qualified applicants, including
women, aboriginal peoples, members of visible minorities and persons
with disabilities.  The closing date for applications is February 28,
2004.

Philippa Spoel
Associate Professor
Department of English