Wendy,

A couple of years ago I did a similar search to collect information for
our administration. At that time we were arguing that in a course like
writing in engineering, a big lecture was not helpful. At that time, I
found the NCTE site with their statement on class sizes for writing
classes in colleges:
http://www.ncte.org/about/over/positions/category/class/107626.htm
Also, the C's site has the following:
http://pirate.shu.edu/~jonesedm/Class%20Size%20Statement/Class_Size_Statements_from_Pro_Organizations.htm

At that time, I have collected responses from people teaching writing in
discipline-specific courses (mostly "writing for engineering students"
and the like) and assembled them in a table. Would you like me to send
you the table as an attachment?

The outcome of this activity was the decision to eliminate big lectures
and teach the course in the workshop format to sections of 25 students,
with some class time dedicated to short lectures/explanations and the
rest of it to activities and discussions. This is the format we are
using now in the engineering communication course (required of all
engineering students, that is, we teach about a thousand students per
year -- roughly, 32 sections a year) and will be using in the new
courses that are currently under development: communication for
information technology students and for computer science students.

Natasha

--
Natasha Artemeva

Assistant Professor
School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Carleton University
1125 Colonel By Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1S 5B6