Well, but . . .

--On Thursday, November 20, 2003 2:04 PM -0500 Jamie MacKinnon
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> To bend the discussion a little and for a moment, one of the many things
> I like about "The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint" is that it's a
> **pamphlet,** not an essay, not a book. I like the fact that it costs
> money, that it's 28 pages long, and that it's beautiful to behold.
> (It's not perfectly, hierarchically organized, in my silly pedantic
> opinion).

. . . the fact that it's a pamphlet pretty well assures that Tufte is
preaching to the choir, wouldn't you say?  May be a darned pretty pamphlet
(and I have nothing against pamphlets!) but in choosing a pamphlet Tufte
has limited his readership in general (because you have to buy the thing,
or slog to the library to get it, and there are a finite number of copies),
and in specific (because Digital Natives, who expect everything to be
online, and who probably most need to hear Tufte's message, won't get it).

> The pamphlet's a wonderful medium, I think.  But I wonder how a
> self-published pamphlet would score in the professoriat's
> publish-or-perish tally at a university?

Probably about as high as a blog . . .

Marcy

                           Marcy Bauman
                         Media Consultant