--On Thursday, November 20, 2003 3:17 PM -0700 Doug Brent
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> This is the most interesting discussion I've seen on CASLL in years!
>
> It seems to me that Sandy has it exactly right.  Tufte seems to be
> arguing that the medium creates the message absolutely, but I don't
> think that even McLuhan would agree that we are helpless in the power of
> a medium.  He only says that we are helpless if we don't understand the
> medium.

Yes; I really loved the link Jamie sent with the ppt presentation from the
two guys who didn't get their room at the Doubletree . . . (aside: I
forwarded it to 1,000 of my closest friends and got *more mail* because of
that forward than anything else I've spammed people with).  I thought it
was hilarious, but beyond that, I thought it was really competent.  It
would be hard to argue that they didn't have connections between their
ideas; I loved the way they used titles to make those connections.  And I
loved the use of graphics -- they understood very well, I thought, that
graphics in a presentation are there for impact, not for total factual
accuracy.  And the whole thing, although delivered to us as a written text,
evoked a sense of oral presentation.  (Most Powerpoint presentations read
like flat outlines; they aren't nearly so evocative.)  The sequencing and
ordering of elements was perfect.

Jamie billed that presentation as one that "subverted" the genre, but I
didn't find it subversive, exactly.  I thought it really pointed up the
strengths of the medium.  I actually learned quite a bit about how to use
ppt from reading it.

Marcy

                           Marcy Bauman
                         Media Consultant