No, they aren't -- these courses are for the Faculty of Engineering and
Comp. Science.

For the same purposes as history and philosophy courses you have in
mind, Carleton's Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences has created First
Year Seminars: full year small group writing intensive courses (such as
language and power -- the one taught from our department). These courses
have lectures integrated into seminars, and all first year students in
our Faculty are required to take one them.  They have been very successful.

Natasha