Carol,  I know that in the elbow the arm catches along the path of flexion
the way a ratchet would in a machine.  This really has to to with rigidity and
the effect that the doctor can feel on examination.  This is  probably not
something the patient would notice.   Shoulder pain has many different causes but
I will say this was one of my husband's very early symptoms and he spent much
time and treatment in a neuro's office being treated for shoulder pain to no
avail.  Much later on that arm became very rigid and did not move but the pain
did diminish and has never returned.  We had no answer to the long gone
shoulder pain or the lack of movement but several years later as the symptoms
advanced it became apparent to even the casual observer that this was Parkinson's.
He then went to the family dr who finally made the diagnosis because it was
plain as the nose on his face so to speak and in checking for rigidity he stated
that Bill had the "cog wheel" effect in his elbow which he said was a classic
sign for Parkinson's  as well as an excellant response to Sinement.  Jackie