--

1998/11/05 update: my current description of our list

one of the un-sung miracles of our time.

we use this on-line mailing list
by sending e-mail messages into a central computer
(located at the University of Toronto),
which then instantly copies those messages
to all 1600 members world-wide.

if i were to send in an inquiry about medications, for instance,
i might have several knowledgeable and helpful replies
within hours or even minutes.

PD is widely and incorrectly thought of as 'an old person's disease'.
i first noticed symptoms in 1984 at age 37,
and was diagnosed in 1988 at age 41.

i believe that a case can be made
for stating that fully half of all PD diagnoses
apply to people under 47 years of age.

the negative shock of this idea can be offset
by new developments in pharmaceutical and surgical treatments for PD
which are published with increasing frequency.

a cure is no longer considered an impossibility.

the following is from the pd list-owner Barb Patterson's web-site:
www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/barbp/barbp.htm

The Parkinsn Information Exchange Network (PIEN) was started on November
8, 1993 by Judy Norris, University of Toronto, and me (co-owners) in
response to an 'unmet need' for this service.

There are now more than 1600 members from more than thirty- two
countries. Fifty-two of the first one hundred members remain on the
list. We are people who have been diagnosed with PD and who are also
husbands, wives, parents, grandparents, lawyers, artists, writers,
poets, musicians, teachers, professors, nurses, doctors, psychiatrists,
neurologists, surgeons, engineers, laborers, secretaries and an ex-CIA
agent. We are family caregivers/carers of people diagnosed with PD.

We are professional caregivers including nursing home workers,
physiotherapists, speech therapists, neuro-team members, doctors, nurses
and researchers. We are educators, professors and students. We are
political activists and pharmaceutical company representatives and media
representatives. We are 'list exploders' which relay PIEN
messages to other groups.

The University of Toronto is the host for PIEN, providing free of
charge, the hardware and software to manage the membership list and
distribute messages. Membership is open and free to all. The only cost
involved is for whatever Internet service provider a member uses to read
an average of twenty-five messages a day.

Each message posted to the list by a member is automatically distributed
to every member of the PIEN by the 'Listserver' software. The position
of 'listowner' is an unpaid, volunteer one.

Other volunteers regularly post instructions on how to interact with the
Listserver and search the archives which contain every message ever
posted to the PIEN including many scientific publications. The archives
are a 'unique resource' of information about living and working with PD.

--

janet paterson
an akinetic rigid subtype, albeit primarily perky, parky