Firstly I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone who contributes to the
list and for the huge help you've been to me and my husband. I've been a member
for some years but have never posted before.
My husband is 54 and was diagnosed 6 years ago, he'd had symptoms for well
over 3 years previous to diagnosis. His first medications was Requip but apart
from bad side-effects it didn't seem to help his rigidity or shuffling walk. I
think at that time he underwent a test and was given, under supervision, a
"large" dose of L-dopa to check that he was able respond to it. Medication was
changed and over the years he's taken a "cocktail" of medication with
modifications from time to time. He has volunteered to be member of a trial to take
place, here in Germany, where retina cells are implanted in the brain. However,
when he went for the first meeting the doctor said she thought that he was
atypical and not responding to the medication as a typical pwp would. One basis
seems to be the fact that he doesn't get a big "boost" first thing in the
morning. His medication is as follows:
Cabaseril 8mg pro day (4mg early a.m.) comtess 1200mg (6x200) nacom 5x100mg
and 200mg retard before bed and tregor 2x200mg.
His meeting was on Wednesday and today his neuro's secretary phoned asking
him to go for tests this coming Monday following a call from the trail doc. to
his neuro. We have great faith in his neuro who has said Tony is slightly
under-medicated so that he can keep going longer. Tony is getting worse but still
has a full-time university job although he gave up being head of department in
June this year. He doesn't always remember to take his meds on time and can be
up to a couple of hours late. Has anyone else been told they are atypical or
have any comments to make on the dosage my husband is taking?
Thank you very, very much for any help you can give and sorry this is such a
long message.
Judith