Mornin' janet and All,

janet, your post stirred my memories...

my grandfather served in the British Army in the Great War...

i never heard him speak of war...

my father went to England in the early stages of WWII and returned home in 1943...

he also never spoke of the war...

not trying to be morbid or grisly... just some 4AM thoughts on 55,000,000....

(let us not even think about debating exact numbers - ONE person not coming home is someones tragedy)

"For today's Western societies, which are relatively unfamiliar with death, and even with the idea of death in war, it
is extremely difficult to begin even to imagine the meaning of such numbers..."

When I was a kid, almost everyone I knew was missing an uncle ... a father ... a brother ... someone ...

World War II Fatalities - 61 Million
http://www.secondworldwar.co.uk/casualty.html

First World War (1914-18)
Total: This is the only major bloodletting which has pretty much the same body count no matter which source I check:
8,500,000 military deaths.
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

The death toll of the Great War is well known: around 9 - 10 million, nearly all soldiers...

On the first day of the British offensive on the Somme, 1 July 1916, 20,000 men from Britain and the Dominions were
killed, and 40,000 men were wounded. No day in the Second World War was so deadly, even on the Eastern Front.

http://www.ralphmag.org/CG/world-war-one1.html

The Great War - Effects
http://www.pvhs.chico.k12.ca.us/~bsilva/projects/great_war/effects.htm

Second World War (1937-45)
Total: It's the most intensively studied event of the 20th Century, so the margin of error is not quite as wide here as
for most of the other wars and oppressions on this page. Most historians agree that the death toll was about 50 million
(including wartime atrocities).

Source List and Detailed Death Tolls for the Twentieth Century Hemoclysm
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm

In May 1945 Germany signed articles of unconditional surrender. In August, after the deaths of 200,000 civilians when
atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the Japanese, too, surrendered, and the long war was over. The
total number of casualties will never be known, but it is calculated that more than 50 million people lost their lives.
http://www.mgtrust.org/ww2.htm

"World War II also introduced the human race to the nightmarish possibility of extinction through nuclear war."

"the deaths of 200,000 civilians when atomic bombs were dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki"

National Death Tolls for the Second World War
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/ww2stats.htm

Death Tolls for the Man-made Megadeaths of the Twentieth Century
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstatx.htm#c

Canada:

First World War, 1914-18, 55,000
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat1.htm#WW1

Second World War, 1939-45, 39,000
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/ww2stats.htm#Canada

Korean War, 1950-53, 310
http://users.erols.com/mwhite28/warstat2.htm#Ko

In a one room school in 1951 I first memorized and recited the following poem...

In Flander's Fields

In Flanders fields, the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe;
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch, be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Poetry Analysis of John MCCrae's "In Flander's Field's"
http://www.geocities.com/sir_john_eh/flanders.html

I stand proud today, proud of my father, proud of my grandfather, and their legacy ... Canada as it exists today

let us never forget

murray

* * *

World War II (1939-1945)
This global conflict, which affected virtually every part of the world, was in many ways simply a continuation of the
unresolved issues resulting from World War I. Principal adversaries in this war were the Axis powers--Germany, Italy,
and Japan--and the Allies--France, Great Britain, the United States, the Soviet Union, and China. The war began in 1939
when Nazi Germany invaded Poland and ended with the total defeat of the Axis powers in 1945.
World War II is easily the largest, and bloodiest, war in recorded history. Estimates of the total death toll range
between 40 and 50 million people and because of the systematic extermination of the Jewish people by the Nazis,
"genocide" is now a recognized crime against humanity. World War II also introduced the human race to the nightmarish
possibility of extinction through nuclear war.
http://ahc.uwyo.edu/exhibits/veterans/ww2.htm

* * *