I had refrained from further discussion of the issue of stem cell research
until now because I have been concerned that my remarks might cause discord
within this List group and I do not wish to abuse my privilege to participate.  I
hope that I will be allowed to express my position on this issue and still
remain within the guidelines of this group.

I would like to say that:  1)  I feel that I have done my homework on the
stem cell issue and although I am neither a scientist nor am I a theologian, I am
a reasonably intelligent individual who has attempted to understand the
promise and pitfalls of the use of embryonic stem cells in therapeutic research.

                                    2)  I believe the scientific community
when they say that the use of embryonic stem cells is vitally important to their
success in developing scientific breakthroughs that could lead to cures for
many serious illnesses.

                                    3)  I believe that an unfertilized egg is
a human cell as opposed to a human being.

                                    4)  I believe that it is unfortunate that
President Bush uses his platform to convey the picture of "designer babies,"
spare body parts," and "human cloning" and omits the real data and what the
real science is.

                                    5)  I believe that we all have the
responsibility to study this issue and, if then convinced of its validity, to be
bold enough to express our convictions.  We must let our lawmakers know that we
cannot let the doors be closed on this very important issue.

Dee