Murray, thanks for the article on "Why Do Placebos Work?".
      It was most timely for me.

I'll step up on my soapbox now.

What are placebos?

Placebos are HOPE.      Hope feeds the human spirit.

Article quote:
"Strangely, researchers have found time and again that placebos
    seem to heal just as well."

Strange? Not strange to me at all.  But then I spent 10 years practicing
nursing in an acute psychiatric facility.  I disarmed violent, psychotic
patients with my voice... a voice of calm and compassion.   I helped
depressed and suicidal patients, too many to count.   Hope is a
miracle worker.

Article quote:
"The desire to exploit  this phenomenon [placebos] is not a new one.
Knowing  how mere belief in a phony cure leads to a real one could
revolutionize much of medicine.  But 50 years of study has failed to
turn up a single  psychological  trait  that  underlies  a  person's
susceptibility to this  trickery."

Trickery?  Well I guess if they are looking for a "trick" they will be
looking for another  50 years.  I think we have more tools within
ourselves than the scientists to relieve and ease suffering.

Article quote:
"The moral quandaries posed by placebos have shifted in recent
years as evidence of their mysterious power has grown."

Mysterious power?         Not  mysterious  to me at all.
Why are some able to "bare their burdens" better than others? What
begins healing? What part does faith, hope, love, support, knowledge, understanding
, security, and acceptance play in peoples lives and
how they effect our perceptions, expectations,  fear,  pain tolerance,
our view of our self and others and at a cellar level, our immune system?

Today I read....   "Cannabis can help MS sufferers"
         http://www.newscientist.com/news/print.jsp?id=ns99994356
                  07 November 03     [....article presented in snips..]

"The main improvements seen were in * subjective measures of
symptoms, i.e. those reported by the patients, rather than in those
 measured using standardized tests."

"Standard objective tests to measure the severity of spasticity
suggested the drugs were no more effective than the placebo. But
60 per cent of treated 630 patients reported a reduction in spasticity,
compared with  * 46 per cent *  who received the * placebo*.

.......  46% is 290  people....

Furthermore, 54 per cent of the treated patients reported pain relief
compared with * 37 per cent *  receiving the * placebo*.  "

........  37%  is   233 people ....

What is this "placebo"? I'll sure buy it  ...the brand or the generic...
 .... [ I'm sure medical insurance won't cover it] .

I think we have more tools than the scientists to relieve and ease suffering.
It's those tools inside of ourselves that we need to call on.

Thanks for reading this,
Gail Vass