go to a orthopeadic person --a physician and/or PH.D.
diabetic shoes  or insoles with combo fabric across top of ur foot and
leather new balance or nike atheltic shoe. there are others that are
more costly, but these are good brands.  New Balance has every width u
can think of and more,

Medic drug stores in Ohio  has stretch fabric diabetic shoes as oppose
to leather or non stretch cloth.  However, the soles are hard.  i have
boney feet and need combo hard and lots of shock absorbsion. if u
shuffle, then u have different needs.

The ortho shoes are generally only covered for diabetics, but make sure
it get sent thru the insurance companies anyway.  If someone is having
custom insoles (full) and shoes covered and is not diabetic let me know
what exact insurance coverage u have in America.

Harder orthotic or more cushiony  (royal blue top layer) type or combo ,
all different types of materials are used.  I don't waste my time trying
the cheaper ways because it is cheaper just to go to the doctor get what
adaptive equiptment i need and don't want ,  and then use it:)

It maybe nice for that person to have velcro as oppose to ties. Alot
easier.  i haven't found althetic shoes with velcro.  I  bought  a pair
of nikes for 27.50 . They were 110.   I don't mind last months or last
years color of trim.   I stated that for cost comparision not the brand
name.

nancy m