Parkinson's patient relies on medication to stay alive
By JULIE DAVIDOW
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER
Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Prescription drugs make Dennis Wright's life possible.

"If I didn't take them I couldn't take care of myself," said Wright, sipping mint tea at his Issaquah apartment this
week. "I couldn't move. I'd just sit there and stare."

Next month, after two years on disability, he'll be eligible for Medicare.

He's 51.

Most of the 40 million people who receive Medicare benefits are senior citizens. But about 5 million, like Wright, are
younger and unable to work because of a disability.

Wright has Parkinson's disease.

The most he can hope for out of the proposal for a new Medicare drug benefit is a reduced premium from the Washington
State Health Insurance Pool -- coverage of last resort for residents who've been turned down by private insurance,
usually due to a pre-existing condition.

Administrators of the Washington state plan say depending on the extent of Medicare's new drug coverage, they could
scale back their prescription coverage for Medicare recipients, resulting in cheaper premiums.

Wright now pays a $250 monthly premium for insurance coverage through his former employer, which he will lose when he
enrolls in Medicare. If he becomes part of the state plan, his premium will increase $100, to $350.

He'll also pay an additional $58 a month for regular Medicare coverage.

It's still a better deal than the proposed federally guaranteed drug benefit.

Wright needs four prescriptions, $1,050 worth of drugs every month, to stave off the worst symptoms of his disease,
including depression. If he's accepted by the state plan, his monthly co-pays will add up to about $50.

With a monthly income of $2,200, the higher total price tag for health care means scaling back in other areas.

Paying rent alone is a luxury. He's searching for a shared rental to save money.

Two years ago, Wright left behind a nearly two-decadelong career as a computer programmer.

After his diagnosis in 1992, Wright was determined to stay on the job. He had two small children (now 13 and 11 years
old) and enjoyed, as he puts it, "the art of programming," creating solutions to needs. "If you do a nice job, it's
easier for people to do their jobs."

Wright said his neurologist knew better.

Six months before lapses in concentration and difficulty organizing his thoughts forced him to quit, his doctors
advised him to begin preparing for retirement.

"It's hard to complete tasks," said Wright. "You get stuck. Words don't come out."

Now, he wears a kind of pager set to beep every three hours, reminding him to take another dose of pills.

Finding a stable drug benefit is critical for Parkinson's patients, who will rely on medications for the rest of their
lives, said Wright.

In addition to drug coverage, Wright worries about other shortcomings of the medical system. He's traveled to
Washington, D.C., to lobby on behalf of increased research funding for Parkinson's.

This summer, he tried going off one of his drugs and noticed a significant decline in his mood.

P-I reporter Julie Davidow can be reached at 206-448-8180 or [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: Seattle Post Intelligencer, WA
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/148927_rxwright.html

* * *